Almost a hundred years of its utopian conception “A city within a city”, the approximate 25.000 inhabitants can celebrate most of the activities that used to happen in what was called a city, however, it is very sad to look outside its boundaries to how the rest of London decays and struggles everyday with basic needs and services, the population is decreasing and every time there is less spaces with adequate conditions of living. Its common to go back and remember the controversies and discussion that the Barbican State caused, regarding for instance, its urban relationship with the city or its car-friendly environment. But, are these characteristics the factors that allowed it to become an isolated survivor in the middle of London?
April 2050. It’s the 30th anniversary of the big breakpoint of human lifestyle due to the known pandemic, and the Barbican State has still managed to “survive” the emergent times we live in.
The future is so uncertain that it can`t really be said until when this “utopian bubble” inside the big decaying city will resist, but the from the overall panorama it can be stipulated a coming explosion of the still ideal life inside the superstructure of the Barbican State.
• As an isolated nucleus, most accesses have been permanently locked. A wall that surrounds the perimeter was built in 2039.
• The population density of the complex was increased by adapting more residential units in complementary spaces such as the cinema and conference rooms in the semicircular block .
• The old underground parking, the pit and the cinema have been transformed into hatcheries of chickens, cattle and insects. Also, a hanged structure for artificial farming was adapted inside the theater tramoya.
• The greenhouse is still there but it has mainly changed to eatable plants.
• Inhabitants of the Barbican State live pleasantly despite the situation. Many human activities and interactions remained in a virtual way since 2020, nevertheless, the Barbican State offers very variated activities and amenities.
• The future is so uncertain that it can`t really be said until when this “utopian bubble” inside the big decaying city will resist, but the from the overall panorama it can be stipulated a coming explosion of the still ideal life inside the superstructure of the Barbican State.
Read the complete document here: